Historic Barlow Hall
13th century Barlow Hall provides the setting for possibly one of the most uniquely historic clubhouses in the country.
The birthplace and home of Edward Barlow, later known as Saint Ambrose Barlow, a famous local Catholic martyr, Barlow Hall is now home to Chorlton-cum-Hardy Golf Club. This beautiful building oozes character and charm and provides the ideal environment to relax after a round of golf.
The ground floor contains the Bar, Sun Lounge, Dining Room, Snooker Room and also the Gentlemen's Locker Room. The Ladies Locker Room is on the first floor.
The clubhouse has comprehensive facilities for golfers with a well stocked bar and excellent, reasonably priced catering facilities. The Dining Room will accommodate up to 80 guests.
In the Clubhouse; smart casual wear may be worn. However, jackets, collars and ties may be required at selected times. Denim jeans, jackets, denim wear, tracksuits are not allowed, nor are collarless or sleeveless shirts or T-shirts. Trainers, track or sports shoes must not be worn at any time. Outdoor topcoats, jackets and anoraks must be left in the cloakroom. No caps.
A Short History
There has been a dwelling situated on the site of Barlow Hall for over 800 years. The earliest dwelling was probably timber-built and was possibly situated near to the river Mersey for protection, fortification and transport purposes. Roger, or Robert de Barlow, knight living during the reign of Saxon King Edward 1 (1272 - 1307) founded the eminent Catholic Barlow family and Barlow Hall continued to be the family home of the Barlow family for a further 500 years.
In 1584, during the reign of King Henry VIII, Barlow Hall was rebuilt by Alexander Barlow. It is believed that a mile long underground passage to Hough End Hall exists, as well as a priest's hole. The last member of the Barlow family to reside at the Hall was Thomas Barlow who died in 1773. The Hall then fell into the estate of the Egerton family and was leased to various tenants. Fire ravaged the Hall on March 19th 1879, but the bay window dated 1574 and the first floor oriel window above it still remain.
St Ambrose Barlow
Barlow Hall has special significance for the Catholic community as the birthplace of St Ambrose Barlow. Sir Edward Barlow was born at Barlow Hall in 1585 and took the name Ambrose when he was ordained as a priest of the Order of St Benedict. He was hanged for his faith at Lancaster Gaol in 1641. He was later canonised by Pope Paul VI, as one of the 40 martyrs of England and Wales, on October 25th 1970. The ghost of St Ambrose is said to haunt the upper floors of the Hall to this day.
Futher information on the Barlow family and barlow hall can be found by following links:
* Chorlton-cum-Hardy Golf Club are always interested in receiving information, photographs and artifacts relating to our historic club house and we would be delighted if you could share them with us! Please contact 0161 881 5830.